Hand Crafted Knits

Please see links on the sidebar for Knitting Commission price list and photo gallery.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Jubulation!

Hello Dear Readers,
     I just got back from an amazing plant collecting trip in the Isles of Scilly (yeah, I had to look them up too, they are off the coast of Cornwall) which I can't wait to tell you about.  But first, this weekend marks the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's Reign.



 It's a really interesting atmosphere around here, when there is a big nationwide celebration the English like to do "Street Parties."  Most people's streets are quite short, maybe no more than 40 houses so they get permission from the Council (local government) to shut it off, string up "bunting" and bring out tables (and umbrellas!) to share a big lunch.  Sort of like a block party, but with more rain and bunting and tea.  All the shops get into the action too, the above photos are some I took just of the shops on Lower Richmond Road, not even the High (Main) Street.  From left clockwise are a Shabby Chic home decoration place, tailoring and alteration, local butcher and cake shop, all decked out in bunting and Union Flags.


 You couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a flag, as Chris is showing posing under the 1000th flag on the street.  We didn't fly our colors, though two roommates here are Australian so technically they are the Queen's subjects too, and Cyprus is an ex-commonwealth country.

Chris had the final appointment for his Christmas present from me, as part of a spa deal he had a pedicure.  Then we walked down to the river and headed east until we couldn't walk anymore.  We saw some people getting on a boat near Imperial Wharf and Chelsea bridge.  It was pretty crowded  (and even two snipers on the roof) but even the people we could see we didn't recognize so we decided to walk back along the river to see the boats mustering.
 We did see the paddling boats lining up.  They had people from all over the world, including a Canadian canoe complete with people in what I assume to be native Canadian outfits.  They were probably the best off as it was FREEZING cold out there, and drizzly at best, and really chucking it down at about 4 pm.

After watching and waiting for a bit we decided to head back towards home along the river, stopping at Wandsworth bridge where we saw the motorized contingent of the flotilla arrive, with a bat-pipe band and full concert bands on some of the boats.  One even played Yankee Doodle as it went by, not sure how appropriate that was.......  I also ran into my friend Jacek and his partner on the bridge, sometimes London can really feel like a small town!

Chris and I kept walking down the Thames path enjoying the flotilla going by, since they were headed the other way from us it made for a nice short flotilla, which we were glad about as it started to pour as soon as we got back to our house.  We went upstairs to snuggle warm in bed and watch the end on BBC iPlayer on the computer.  Not a moment too soon for me as I was soon fast asleep, owing to the fact that I got in from Scilly at 1 in the morning.  Chris jostled me awake for the end of it, but I was flotillaed out.

As a nod to the occasion I did make my own version of (vegetarian) Coronation Chicken, a classic English dish that was invented for the original coronation in 1952.  You can still buy a coronation chicken sandwich (think tuna salad) in the local grocery stores, the English love a good cold meat salad and frankly, it was delicious.

This is end of our two day Bank Holiday, and I have to go to work tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it, still in that Honeymoon phase of Yes!  I have a JOB!  I'm working on the posts for the Scilly Isles and will be doling them out later this month.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment