Hello Dear Readers,
On Saturday Chris and I took a trip to the Historic City of Bath (prounounced Baa -th here, it confuses the locals if you say it with a very short a). What an awesome place! If you ever come to England, outside of London of course I really recommend you visit this place!

The first stop was the Pump rooms and roman baths mentioned by Jane Austin so often in her book Persuasion.

We toured around the old part seeing all the underground sluices and canals where the Romans filtered the balmy 50 C water into 3 different pools. There is currently a spa nearby where you can enjoy the waters much as the Romans did 2000 years ago, and I think some friends from work and I are going to treat ourselves to a trip there soon to indulge.

After that the next absolute must stop was Sally Lunn's tea house. My friend Elizabeth and I used to walk down to the bakery at WIlliam and Mary sometimes and get Sally Lunn buns, but I didn't realize they came from Bath, and in fact this tea house in bath. The menu is hilarious, you can get anything you want, but it all comes in, on or with a Sally Lunn bun, which is a sort of semi sweet large roll.

As you can see, it's universally famous and even Tom Baker (my first Dr. Who) has been known to taste the Sally Lunns. The building is great, the current incarnation dating to 1450, but the site had been used as a tavern by the Romans before then.

We spent the rest of the day walking around the city enjoying the distinctive Bath stones and architecture, we went up to the famous Crescent and Circus, featured again in many of Jane Austin's stories.

We even stopped by her old house on Gay Street just south of the Crescent, but on other people's advice we didn't bother to go in.
There were lots of lovely shops and a riverside walk and lots more fantastic stuff that we didn't even have time for. Hopefully we'll go back soon and maybe even stay the night, I'd love to check out the fashion museum and more of the river and the Abby. So much to see so little time..
Still some crafting going on, finishing up a quilt, more sweaters, and there is a newly pregnant friend in my life that I get to plan all sorts of exciting baby things for!Woo hooo!
No comments:
Post a Comment