This week I had a mini-break (that's what they call a short vacation here) of a sorts. I'm still trapped without a passport, but I took some of my excessive leave from work to go up to Harpenden on Thursday. I just love taking the train, so civilized! I met up with all of Madeleine's friend's from Graduate School which was fantastic because I had heard so much about them from her and it was good to be able to put a face to a name. They all seemed really great, and the time just flew by as we talked and ate at fabulous restaurants. I also go to see the place where Madeleine did her PhD (Rothemstead). Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with them again the next time they all get together.
Friday I slept in a bit, then went off to be a tourist at the Tower of London (I get in free with my Kew pass, milking that baby for all it's worth!). Here is the famous tower bridge, featured in the new Sherlock Holmes movie.
I took the tour given by the "beef-eaters" who are all ex-military and actually live within the tower walls with their families. We did get rained on a bit (this IS England) but I think it added to the mystique and gloom of the place.
Here is part of the actual 1000 year old Norman tower. On the bottom left of the picture you can just make out the cages for the Ravens at the tower. There is a story about the ravens which you can read here on wikipedia. I didn't go into the tower but instead went to see the crown jewels. They don't allow pictures in there, but do sell a lovely souvenir guide for only 5.99 (pounds that is). They were sparkly and big and pretty, but I was stuck in front of the most annoying family in England consisting of a loudmouth granny, annoying mum and the worst behaved 10 year old boy ever, who they kept feeding lollypops. AArgh! I was about ready to slap each of them by the time we got to the jewel room!
Why don't you have your passport???????
ReplyDeletebecause i had to send it to the immigration people as part of my application for a residence card. I had to send Chris's as well. I won't get it back until my application is reviewed and sent back, which could be next month or next year.
ReplyDeleteSounds lovely. :)
ReplyDelete