Well I have achieved three important steps for moving within the past two days.
1. Found a local Stitch and Bitch (The Hammersmith Stitch N Bitch)
2.A stranger on the street asked me for directions - and I was able to give them
3. I got a library card! And about 10 books, many of them on the local area, trying to learn the history of my new home. I also learned yesterday that the Library is not open on Tuesdays. After I walked all the way up there. In the rain. Just another part of moving to a new place, learning the ins and outs. Also the flower shop doesn't seem to be open on Wednesdays, or maybe just no before 10. It's hard to tell, a lot of shops have funny hours but no signs.
English things I have encountered:
Ms. is pronounced Muz, instead of Miz, and they put Mr., Ms., Mrs., Miss on things like you bank card and library card.
It's not a sidewalk, it's the pavement
Zucchinis are courgettes
If you are looking up sweet potatoes at the Sainsbury's (Local grocery) check out, look under potato, sweet.
Your local Burrough is run by a Council. I live in the Burrough of Wadsworth.
Your local Burrough is run by a Council. I live in the Burrough of Wadsworth.
And....... our street is patroled by women on horseback. No serously! I got a photo...
I heard a noise that sounded so much like horses, I looked out the window and there they were. If it's really rainy they wear big plastic skirts (the police officers, not the horses) to keep the rain off their "trousers". Very cool.
Finally, I want to get some knitting content on this blog. Here is the beginning of a hat reknit I'm doing for Patrick. It's two end knitting so a little tedious to undo, and especially to redo, but it keeps me busy.
I'm off to clean the back garden and the front while it's sunny. Cheers!
Ah yes -- the British distinction between "pants" and "trousers". Don't mix them up. :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you have a TV I suggest you check out the show "QI" which is on Fridays. It's a comedy/quiz show which I quite like. :)
Wandsworth....not Wadsworth
ReplyDeleteYeah we have mounted cops in cities especially for crowd control so don't get rowdy!M.E.
ReplyDelete